Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dragonwyck

sg
During the week-long "summer break" between each M*A*S*H season profiled here, I generally try and work on other stuff because once I start writing the episode summaries again, I'm seeing a whole lot of the show in a very short period of time. But, sometimes, I just can't escape the show, even if I might want to.

Case in point: today I sat down to watch the 1946 film Dragonwyck, a gothic horror film starring Gene Tierney (hubba hubba!) and Vincent Price.

About a half hour into the movie, and guess who shows up?:
sg
...yes, that's a young(ish) Harry Morgan--then being billed as Henry Morgan--playing a particularly ornery member of the small town that the grand mansion that is Dragonwyck looks down upon!

In Morgan's first scene, he is brought before Vincent Price's character Nicolas. He doesn't take off his hat, and when this act of rudeness is pointed to him, Morgan barks: "I'm a free American citizen! I take my hat off for no man!"

Which, when you think about it, is something you could imagine a very young Sherman Potter saying.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...